terça-feira, 14 de novembro de 2017

Damaged by Willow Winters - Book Review (Opinião)

 Read in English      Ler em Português

Damaged

Original Title: Damaged
Author: Willow Winters
Publisher: EverAfter Romance
Pages: 300 pages
Synopsis: «It was easy to love Kat.
I didn’t know that’s what it was at first. I knew I wanted her, that I’d stop at nothing to have her in my bed. Ruining her the best way I knew how and making sure she was mine and mine alone.
Taking her was one thing, but I should have known better than to think a man like me could hold on to a woman like her.
There’s only so much I could hide and so much I could run, before the past and my sins caught up to me.
And now it’s too late.
She can’t know the truth; no one can.
She’s mine in every way and I refuse to let her go.
But I don’t know how much more she can take before her love turns to hate.
»

Damaged was my first contact with this author and it was, without a shadow of a doubt, a good start.
The story follows Evan and Kat, a couple that everyone would call perfect and that one day, thanks to Evan, is involved in an extremely media covered scandal that puts the relationship at stake.
Before each chapter, there’s a poem supposedly written by the character that is going to narrate and, since we have both points of view, I found it an excellent detail (on Amazon you can find an ebook with just the poems that, at the time this was written, is free. So I recommend it for those who want to read them or just save them).
Regarding the characters, I really like Evan, even though he annoyed me a lot throughout the story, specially by hiding secrets from her wife because they are, allegedly, too dangerous for her, when I actually think that, since she was already involved by being marred to him, they weren’t that special. With this said, I really liked Kat, however, the same problem applies to her that I applied to her husband – both fantastic characters, but over complicated in an unnecessary way most of the time. Overall, the character I liked the most was Maddie, one of Kat’s closest friends that ends up a wallflower throughout the story, but I’m eager to see more of on the next book of the duology.
Honestly, what annoyed me the most weren’t the characters themselves but their actions – Evan doesn’t want to share things with the person he should trust the most and Kat acts like a true teenager instead of an adult.
A part that the author built up very well was the suspense: the book has moments, even in the beginning, that the reader doesn’t know the secrets or how deep they are and the curiosity is very high and, when the mystery ends, the story gets very heavy real quick. Even though for me the plot twist wasn’t completely surprising or unexpected, the author wrote the whole thing very well.
Since in this series, to each couple we have a book, I only felt that the story truly started at the end of this book. But, we have, with no doubts whatsoever, the creation of a perfect environment to develop even better the second book and I’m thrilled to read it, therefore I highly recommend it.
Good readings.
(3.5 out of 5 stars)

  • «Love is a stubborn heart» - Chapter 13
  • «But envy comes with threats and in its nature, ruins.» - Chapter 15

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário